The LACE Team and Board of Directors congratulate Daniela Lieja Quintanar in her new appointment as Chief Curator and Deputy Director of Programming for REDCAT. Daniela joined LACE in October 2016 shortly following her completion of the MA in Art and Curatorial Practices in the Public Sphere from the University of Southern California. At LACE, she has championed artists, mentored participants in our Emerging Curator’s program, and inspired our many apprentices.
Over the last six years, Daniela collaborated with Executive Director, Sarah Russin, and the LACE Team to present major exhibitions, as well as numerous public programs, publications, workshops, performances, and international conversations. Below we are happy to highlight Daniela’s LACE projects. Rich project-related materials are available in the LACE web archives. Daniela will continue her research and exhibition planning as the curator for the Getty Pacific Standard Time project, (un)disciplinary tactics: Beatriz da Costa, scheduled for presentation at LACE in fall 2024. We thank her for her deep contributions to the LACE community and legacy.
- DREAM TEAM by Crack Rodriguez presented at Museum of Latin American Art (2022, Co-curated with MOLAA Chief Curator Gabriela Urtiaga)
- Intergalactix: against isolation/contra el aislamiento (2021)
- An Offering of Honor by Amitis Motevalli (2020)
- LO ÚNICO SEGURO ES QUE NOS VAMOS A MORIR (The Only Certain Thing is that We are Going to Die) by Carmina Escobar (2020)
- Destino Elei vía Tiyei (2019, co-curated with Selene Preciado) at CECUT in Tijuana, Mexico
- To Oblivion: The Speculators’ Eden by Sandra de la Loza (2019)
- Unraveling Collective Forms (2019)
- CAVERNOUS: Young Joon Kwak & Mutant Salon (2018)
- La Pista de Baile by Colectivo am, as part of the Getty/REDCAT PST: Live Art LA/LA Performance Festival (2018)
- Emory Douglas: Bold Visual Language (2018 co-curated with Essence Harden)
- home away from by Jimena Sarno (2017)
- El Teatro Campesino (1965-1975), (2017 co-curated with Samantha Gregg)
- Se habla español initiative, 2017 and ongoing
This fall we are thrilled to promote Juan Silverio, our Operations and Exhibitions Manager, to Assistant Director of Programming. In January 2023, we welcome back Fiona Ball, who will serve as Interim Deputy Director/Curator at LACE to steward upcoming performance projects with Thinh Nguyen, Jackie Amezquita, Carmina Escobar, and Micaela Tobin, as well as assist LACE during this transition period. A search for a new LACE curator will be announced in 2023.
CalArts is fortunate to have Daniela join their staff and we look forward to experiencing the great exhibitions and programs she will develop in her time at REDCAT!
— The LACE Team and Board of Directors
Photo: Unraveling Collective Forms, “Ensayos Libertarios: Maaynook” event, LACE 2019. Photo by Tina June Malek.